Quiz time: On a scale from 1 to 10, how intentional are you about planning your meals around how you want to feel?
Notice I didn’t ask, “What do you eat when you feel ________?”
The reality is, eating has become a reactionary thing for driven people on a mission. Our meals typically follow our mood.
“I’m hungry. Shoot, I better eat something.”
“I feel like crap and don’t feel like cooking.” (cue smashing the Uber Eats app).
How do I know this?
Because I’m like you.
For years, eating was an event that followed my mood. There was no intention behind it, despite me knowing as a former athlete our bodies are like luxury cars…
…if we keep putting 87 gas in while pushing it to the max, it’s bound to break down – both mentally and physically.
In today’s episode of the Coming Up Clutch with J.R.™ show, nationally recognized nutrition expert and author, Tara Collingwood, keeps it both REAL and SIMPLE as she shares how us high-achievers can fuel the feelings (and ultimately the outcomes) we’re after.
In this latest episode, Tara and I talk about…
- How to leverage your diet to overcome adversity
- How to stay on top of what your body needs despite it constantly changing
- Why we must pay attention to our gut for optimal health and performance
…and so much more.
If you want to prime your body and mind to achieve your biggest dreams and goals, then lock in to today’s episode.
[00:01 – 14:20] Introducing Tara to the show
- Tara’s most embarrassing moment
- Tara’s background and her professional journey
[14:21 – 29:08] How to leverage your diet to overcome adversity
- Must ask yourself everyday, “What’s most important?”
- Make a choice on how you want to move forward in life.
- Our physical health is our foundation – if you don’t have a strong foundation in your house, the rest will crumble
- Two key words when it comes to nutrition / leveraging your diet to help you overcome adversity (2Ps): Planning & Preparation
- Recommendation: try one new recipe a week or month (to prevent boredom). If you have a family, pick something to try together.
- Tara’s advice when you feel like you just can’t Plan and Prep because you’re so mentally/emotionally challenged right now…
- BE TRUE TO YOURSELF – what is realistic for me and MY lifestyle?
- Connect FOOD to how you FEEL. When you have to perform at your best and want to SHOW UP the best for the people who matter most, you HAVE to think about what’s going in your body
- Give yourself grace – YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE PERFECT
- Key TIP: Ask yourself, how do I want to FEEL physically, mentally, and emotionally for the next 3-4 hours. Your answer determines what you should put in your body.
- How are you going to FUEL how you want to FEEL in your body?
- NOTE: take in smaller increments vs. thinking like you have to have this perfect diet all figured out
[29:09 – 38:20] How to stay on top of what our body needs
- Regarding supplements and fad diets…
- If it sounds too good to be true, it is. There’s no one size fits all – everyone’s body is different
- Regarding intermittent fasting…
- Tara’s philosophy = 12 hours of fasting is optimal. We have about a 1 hour window upon waking up where our metabolism is ready to get going. If we pass that window, we’re losing out on necessary energy
- Supply and Demand analogy: Supply = food; Demand = think, breathe, move; the minute you wake up, metabolism is go-go-go and you need to FUEL that (because while you’re sleeping, you’re using that energy that was stored)
[38:21 – 42:21] Why we must pay attention to our gut for optimal health and performance
- Our gut is where our immunity is
- Tara’s recommendation (but, still, check with your doctor):
- Probiotic supplements
- Probiotic foods (kiefer, yogurt, fermented foods like sauerkraut and kimchi)
- Foods high in fiber – whole grains, fruits and vegetables, beans
- These keep the good bacteria happy (whereas processed foods pisses them off)
- Stress – the mind and gut are closely intertwined
- Stress releases hormones…those hormones tell us whether we’re hungry or full (when we don’t get enough sleep, hunger hormones can also get triggered)
- This is why you see people gain or lose weight whenever they’re going through a tough time or a challenge
[42:32 – 45:44] How to manage your diet in the midst of family craziness, travel, and an overall packed schedule
- Plan and Prepare! Think about your schedule AHEAD OF TIME
- If you’re eating out, you CHOOSE the healthier options
[45:45 – 50:16] Wrapping Up
- Tara’s BIG domino
- How to connect with Tara
“Our physical health is our foundation – if you don’t have a strong foundation in your house, the rest will crumble.” -Tara Collingwood
“FUEL how you want to FEEL.” -Tara Collingwood
“If it sounds too good to be true, it is.” -Tara Collingwood
CONNECT WITH TARA
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!