What do you do when the odds are against you?
Do you sit in fear?
Double-down on your faith?
What does it take to show up bold and confident when all hope seems to be lost?
Former University of Georgia Football standout and NFL linebacker, Rennie Curran, can teach you a thing or two about that…
Beating the odds is his middle name.
He went from being made fun of for his size to becoming one of the greatest linebackers in the history of Georgia’s football program and getting drafted 97th overall.
And he continues to beat the odds in his professional life.
Rennie shares his wisdom about overcoming the impossible on today’s episode of the Coming Up Clutch with J.R.™ show.
In this latest episode, Rennie and I talk about…
- How to respond when the odds are stacked against you
- Two things many leaders struggle with today and how to overcome them
- What Rennie has learned from trying to balance life as a single dad, entrepreneur, and philanthropist
…and so much more.
If you want to be the person known for consistently beating the odds, then lock in to today’s episode.
[00:01 – 11:26] Introducing Rennie to the show
- Rennie’s most embarrassing moment
- Rennie’s background, story, and professional journey
[11:27 – 20:10] How Rennie was able to come up clutch despite constantly being an underdog
- Operate at the level of your vision. How?…
- MAKE A DECISION – you have two choices: 1.) revert to the level of your circumstances or 2.) revert to the level of your vision (i.e. this is where I want to be, this is who I am, and NOTHING is going to make me compromise that)
- God honors your sacrifices and faith, especially when you act in it
[20:11 – 32:11] How to respond when the odds are stacked against you
- It became my fuel
- You have to take time to dissect your skills and abilities and focus on what you have and don’t have
- Leverage the ones that you can use to get your edge (e.g. Rennie’s in football: speed, quickness, and agility)
- Rennie used his height to his advantage (instead of looking at it as a disability)
- Have to be a technician to maximize your skills and abilities
- Rennie’s advice: Take time to get to know yourself and your strengths (e.g. track your wins)
- How to prevent yourself from focusing on proving others wrong (vs. focusing on your vision):
- Find community or someone to hold you accountable to not go there
- Perspective: realize your opportunity to influence others is SO much bigger than the challenging position you’re in (i.e. where vision comes into play)
[32:12 – 38:25] Two things many leaders struggle with today and how to overcome them
- Recruiting and retention: this is the result of a LACK OF CULTURE
- How to overcome these challenges?
- Understand that you ARE the culture
- Prepare – win the game before the game (i.e. what are you doing before you get on your Field of Play?)
- When you leave your Field of Play, what are you doing to make success predictable the next day (i.e. Rennie calls them M.I.T.s – most important tasks)
[38:26 – 44:29] What Rennie has learned from trying to balance life as a single dad, entrepreneur, and philanthropist
- Have to get clear on your values and who you want to be. Then, be consistent in that – prioritizing is a key strategy to do that.
- Have to give our kids grace – being a father has given Rennie a glimpse into God’s love and grace for him
- Part of loving our kids is to let them fail
[44:30 – 50:03] Wrapping Up
- Rennie’s BIG domino
- How to connect with Rennie
“When you go to new levels, you’ll face new devils.” – Rennie Curran
“God honors your sacrifices and faith, especially when you act in it.” – Rennie Curran
CONNECT WITH RENNIE
- Facebook: @RennieCurran53
- Instagram: @renniecurran
- Linkedin: /in/renniecurran/
- YouTube: @renniecurran
- Website: https://renniecurran.com/
- The Game Changers Foundation: https://gamechangersfoundationga.org/
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
- Check out The Clutch Club™️: jamesreid.com/club (For Men Only)
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!