How well do you execute under pressure?
Are you at your best, or do you crack?
On today’s episode of the Coming Up Clutch with J.R.™ show, I sit down with Kansas City Chiefs all-time leading scorer and member of the Chiefs Hall of Fame, Nick Lowery.
If there’s anyone who knows a thing or two about coming up clutch in the biggest of moments, it’s Nick Lowery.
In this latest episode, Nick and I talk about…
- Nick’s mentality after missing two field goals for the Chargers in his Rookie Year and getting cut
- Nick’s advice for overcoming the fear of failure and the nervous butterflies
- Why EVERYONE should get out and serve
…and so much more.
If you want to learn how to overcome pressure like a Hall of Famer, then lock in to today’s episode.
[00:01 – 08:27] Introducing Nick to the show
- Nick’s most embarrassing moment
- Nick’s background, story, and professional journey
[08:28 – 15:58] Nick’s mentality after missing two field goals for the Chargers his Rookie Year and getting cut
- Nick’s mentorship with Dick Johnson taught him the importance of gratitude and managing your mind
- After missing two field goals for the Chargers his Rookie Year and getting cut, Nick’s mentality was, “It’s not the end, you’re just getting used to this.”
- If you’re truly committed, persistence is necessary so you can learn what it takes to succeed
- In 1978, he walked into the New England Patriots office and told them they needed him as their kicker – went on to make 17/17 field goals for them and he was signed 30 minutes later.
- “It’s not how many times you get knocked down. It’s how many times you get back up.” – Dick Johnson
- You never know what else you have to learn or what else you can learn unless you keep putting yourself out there
[15:59 – 26:25] Nick’s advice for overcoming the fear of failure and nervous butterflies
- Most of the problem: when we say “I don’t want to be nervous.” Nick says to flip it and say, “I want to be nervous.”
- Practice putting healthy pressure on yourself, creating situational awareness, and determine how you want to feel in those intense moments
- If you’re too self-conscious, you’re slow down the parts of your body that need to be sped up
- The advice Nick got from Tony Robbins: Find out who you’re playing for – this will take you out of the self-conscious place
[26:26 – 30:59] The key to handling the spotlight with class and grace
- When you screw up, you learn
- Stop making excuses
- It doesn’t matter how good you are, you’re going to receive criticism, unfair criticism, and, sometimes, unfair or untruthful criticism.
- Key reminder when you’re receiving criticism: That’s a good sign of leadership.
[31:00 – 44:18] Why EVERYONE should get out and serve
- Service and gratitude go hand-in-hand
- Serving others helps you see individuals as a fellow human being
- It’s really about giving God’s gifts that are unique to each of us – we have to find them, identify them, and work our whole lives to perfect them
- In return, we get grace and groundedness and others get miracles
[44:19 – 48:35] Wrapping Up
- Nick’s BIG domino
- How to connect with Nick
“Gratitude is fundamental for the rest of our lives.” – Nick Lowery
“It’s not how many times you get knocked down. It’s how many times you get back up.” – Nick Lowery
“You never know what else you have to learn or what else you can learn unless you keep putting yourself out there.” – Nick Lowery
“When you screw up, you learn.” – Nick Lowery
“Serving others helps you see individuals as a fellow human being.” – Nick Lowery
“It’s NOT the brightness of the spotlight on you, it’s the beauty and the power of the light within you.” – Nick Lowery
CONNECT WITH NICK
- Website (Main): https://nicklowery.com/
- Website (Speaking): https://loweryspeaks.com/
- Instagram: @nicklowery88
- Linkedin: /in/lowerynick
- Aquimo Kick with Nick Game
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
- Check out The Clutch Club™️: jamesreid.com/club (For Men Only)
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!
LISTEN to previous episodes on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google or whatever podcast platform you prefer!