How do you choose to stand out from the crowd?
For many, it’s by trying to be someone or something they’re not – especially when the stakes are high.
That’s not how Vayner Sports’, Mike McCartney, has chosen to do it at the highest level in football.
Here’s a guy in the NFL, competing in one of the most cutthroat industries in the world, who’s become one of the best in the world by sticking to his core values while others compromise theirs.
As a NFLPA Certified Agent, Mike McCartneyhas represented NFL Legends and has negotiated over $1 billion for his players – WHILE building up a strong, tight-knit family.
In today’s episode of the Coming Up Clutch with J.R.™ show, I sit down with Mike and unpack key lessons from his 40+ years in football as an athlete, coach, and executive.
In this latest episode, Mike and I talk about…
- How to stand out in a cutthroat environment by standing up for your values
- The key ingredient for sustainable success in the most competitive environments
- How to protect the integrity of your family when your career demands are high
…and so much more.
If you want to learn how to become the best while protecting what matters most, then lock in to today’s episode.
[00:01 – 06:27] Introducing Mike to the show
- Mike’s most embarrassing moment
- Mike’s background and his professional journey
[06:28 – 25:14] How to stand out in a cutthroat environment by standing up for your values
- Credibility is EVERYTHING – let your yes be yes and your no be no
- Honesty and credibility mean the world when you’re trying to do your best
- Mike set ground rules with his clients to protect his family
- How Mike got his values and how he held himself accountable to them:
- How: from parents
- Accountability: men’s bible study
[25:15 – 34:30] The key ingredient for sustainable success in the most competitive environments
- Your humility is your number one ingredient for success
- You’re only promised today – stay hungry. Stay humble. Maximize TODAY. You never know when your time’s coming
- In practice: When you start down the negative thinking…have to train ourselves STOP and go the other way.
- Mac advice’s: get a motivational quote, bible verse and memorize for those moments
[34:31 – 38:07] Mike’s advice for when you’re starting to have more financial success
- Your money is not WHO you are – your true self and your values have nothing to do with the house you live in or the car you drive or the clothes you wear
- People mess up what they DO with who they ARE (i.e. the identity crisis)
[38:08 – 40:42] How to protect the integrity of your family when your career demands are high
- Starts with making your values a priority
- Mike missed opportunities because he put family as a priority – looking back and asking “Were those missed opportunities that big of a deal?” his answer was no
- Key question to ask yourself: what is a big deal? (for Mike, it was being there for his kids as they grew up and keeping). Follow up question: “If I miss _______, is it REALLY that big of a deal?”
[40:43 – 44:35] Wrapping Up
- Mike’s BIG domino
- How to connect with Mike
“Credibility is EVERYTHING – let your yes be yes and your no be no.” – Mike McCartney
“Your humility is your number one ingredient for success.” – Mike McCartney
“Stay hungry. Stay humble. Maximize TODAY.” – Mike McCartney
“Make today great. Tomorrow will take care of itself.” – Mike McCartney
CONNECT WITH MIKE
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!