How many times have you caught yourself saying that about someone?
For me, it’s been plenty of times.
Curious, though – how many times have you said I’M DIFFERENT and then own it?
Therein lies the opportunity.
For years, I was told I’m unique in God’s eyes, but never truly dug deep into what that meant…
Told by coaches, peers, and colleagues that I’m special, but never took the time to find out why.
It took me over three decades to finally do that work…and, man, what a gamechanger it’s been!
In today’s episode of the Coming Up Clutch with J.R.™ show, I sit down with Justin Roethlingshoefer – a friend, top performance expert, and entrepreneur who’s dedicated his life to helping people OWN their different.
One day Justin was living an NHL dream, the next day he was burned out, addicted to opioids, and divorced.
Everything changed when he DECIDED to own the true, DIFFERENT version of himself.
Justin and I get very real about his journey and how he’s turned his life, relationships, and mission around.
In this latest episode, Justin and I talk about…
- How to confidently step into the gap between where you are and where you want to be
- The mindset shift that’s necessary when you feel like you’re struggling to be disciplined
- What the best do when it comes to living and performing optimally
…and so much more.
If you want to turn your uniqueness into your superpower, then lock in to today’s episode.
[00:01 – 12:17] Introducing Justin to the show
- Justin’s most embarrassing moment
- Justin’s background and professional journey
[12:18 – 28:13] How to confidently step into the gap between where you are and where you want to be
- Context: Justin’s story – dream to work in NHL turned into a nightmare and led to an opioid addiction (there was constantly a values conflict)
- We must understand the true definition of God: Embodying the Spirit of God internally in order for us to thrive (i.e. we must embody that Spirit)
- 1) we are truly embodying God when we are connected to him through prayer and listening
- 2) connect with somebody that is deeply connected to God…someone that makes you go, “They’re different.” Be willing to be open with that person and have an intentionality of where you’re going and why you’re doing it.
[28:14 – 30:40] The mindset shift that’s necessary when you feel like you’re struggling to be disciplined
- While self-discipline is culturally celebrated and rewarded, it’s incredibly inefficient and overrated.
- Self-discipline only works on the assumption that we have to fight against ourselves in order to win. In actuality, if we embody God in order to thrive, we’re saying that discipline has to fight with God in order to win – this makes NO sense.
- This is why things become so hard
- We need to surrender and, instead of working off of discipline and grinding through, and become deeply connected to what matters…that’s when things become effortless (i.e. done with ease).
[30:41 – 37:39] What the best do when it comes to living and performing optimally
- It’s different for every person
- Tree analogy, if we’re a tree…
- Us humans typically relate ourselves to the fruit we produce (e.g. cars, businesses, stats, families, homes, etc.). BUT – if you don’t harvest the fruit at the right time, it rots and falls off.
- We are not the fruit or the branches…we’re not the TYPE of tree or the trunk…we’re the ROOT system.
- The root system was started by a seed – that seed is GOD.
- The best – they focus on the ROOTS and how they’re built. Things like how are we…
- Living with our families?
- Connecting with people?
- Connecting with God?
- Even in a FIRE, the root system stays strong, can rebuild, and become renewed
- We have to take steps DAILY to make sure our root system is strong so WE stay strong when life and our careers hit us
- What too many people are getting wrong when it comes to human performance
- Too many people are putting performance on a pedestal vs. focusing on the process
- The process is our ROOT system which exists in HEALTH, RELATIONSHIPS, and CONNECTIVITY – when we focus on those, performance happens as a consequence
- There’s no perfect routine – your routines come back to your root system and making sure it’s optimized – THAT’s OWNING YOUR DIFFERENT. And when that happens, our fruit is bigger and in more abundance, it’s more regular, and more valuable.
- Your different is your blessing. It’s there for a reason.
[37:40 – 43:20] Wrapping Up
- Justin’s BIG domino
- How to connect with Justin
“Talent will get you noticed. Consistency will get you paid.” – Justin Roethlingshoefer
“Your different is your blessing.” – Justin Roethlingshoefer
“When we focus on our health, relationships, and connectivity, performance happens as a consequence.” – Justin Roethlingshoefer
“If we could look after our households first, that’s when everything thrives.” – Justin Roethlingshoefer
CONNECT WITH JUSTIN
- Instagram: @justinroeth | Own It Coaching | Own It System
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/justin.roethlingshoefer
- Podcast: https://ownitcoaching.com/podcast/
- Website: https://ownitcoaching.com/
- Own It Couple’s Collective: https://ownitcoaching.com/couples-collective
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
- Check out The Clutch Club™️: jamesreid.com/club (For Men Only)
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!