What would you do if you suddenly found yourself in MILLIONS of dollars in debt after making what you thought was a great decision?
Would you throw up the white flag?
Or would you dig in and fight until you turned your situation around?
That’s exactly the decision Julio Melara was faced with back in 2008. And today, he’s become one of the most successful entrepreneurs in his industry. He’s also published several books and inspires people all over the country with his talks on leadership and mindset.
Join me and Julio as we get real about sports, business, and LIFE.
In this episode, we talk about…
- How to harness the power of focus and limit distractions
- The four disciplines Julio employs to manage pressure
- How to stay on top of your money with so much going on around you
…and so much more.
If you want to reach your highest levels of success WHILE building deeper relationships with the people you care about most, don’t miss out on today’s conversation.
[00:01 – 12:00] Introducing Julio to the Show
- Julio’s most embarrassing moment
- Julio’s story and clutch moment
[12:01 – 24:42] How To Harness The Power Of Focus And Limit Distractions
- Julio’s biggest lesson learned
- Stay humble
- Must have people around you that you trust…DO NOT DO IT SOLO
- There’s two ways to learn things – MISTAKES and MENTORS
- LEARN, be a student…don’t just take people’s advice
- Can’t just be one-dimensional in life (all your eggs in your craft basket) – people who are 1-dimensional get hurt more often by their blindspots
- Must be literate with money, faith, relationships, etc.
- To know what you know, and to know what you don’t know is to KNOW – this is all about self-awareness
[24:43 – 34:56] The Four Disciplines Julio Employs To Manage Pressure
- PRAYER – the man that stays on his knees (in prayer) will always be able to stand on his feet
- GET YOUR MIND RIGHT – constantly feed your mind the RIGHT information, and the RIGHT self-talk (what goes in, must come out)
- Wake up every day in GRATITUDE
- Solve problems
- Lead with purpose
- Serve people
- Bring the energy
[34:57 – 43:00] How To Stay On Top Of Your Money With So Much Going On Around You
- Get a financial advisor
- Give – you can never go broke being generous
- Have a budget
- STUDY – You can never exhaust your capacity to grow and learn…it’s something you can take to the grave.
- Talk to people who have way more money than you
- Everybody wants money, but most people don’t want to respect it. You’ll never have access to something you don’t respect.
- Julio’s Golden Rules
- Don’t get involved in anything you don’t understand or control
- Don’t get involved in something just because a bunch of your friends did – ALWAYS do your due diligence…1.) UNDERSTAND THE DEAL and 2.) look at the DOWNSIDE first, then the UPSIDE
[43:01 – 44:47] How To Maintain Strong Family Life In Sports, Business, And Success
- Be intentional
- Determine that divorce is NOT an option
- Study successful marriages / study successful parenting
- Set boundaries
[45:15 – 48:47] Wrapping up!
- Julio’s BIG domino
- How to connect with Julio
“Fear and faith have two things in common. They both start with the letter F and they both believe in a future that hasn’t happened” – Julio Melara (quoting Jon Gordon)
“The best investment you’ll ever make is in yourself.” – Julio Melara
“You master what you focus on.” – Julio Melara
“The man that stays on his knees (in prayer) will always be able to stand on his feet” – Julio Melara
“You can never go broke being generous.” – Julio Melara
“You’ll never have access to something you don’t respect.” – Julio Melara
CONNECT WITH JULIO
- Instagram: @juliomelara
- Facebook: @julio.melara.9
- Twitter: @julio_melara
- LinkedIn: in/juliomelara
- Website: https://www.juliomelara.com/
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!
LISTEN to previous episodes on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google or whatever podcast platform you prefer!