What if more people in the world were motivated by making a difference vs. making money?
One of my favorite Bible proverbs has something to say about this: “The greedy stir up conflict, but those who trust in the LORD will prosper.” (Prov. 28:25)
For me, trusting God with the passion he gave me for others takes front and center. I’ve done the chasing the money thing because I thought THAT would allow me to live fulfilled. In reality, it was leading me toward death – of my dreams and my family.
On today’s episode of the Coming Up Clutch with J.R.™ show, I interview a man who’s proven that proverb true. Longtime attorney, MLBPA Certified Agent, and the leader of Paragon Sports International, Joe Longo, stuck to his passion, stayed in the game, and is now leading one of the top sports agencies in baseball.
In this latest episode, Joe and I talk about…
- How Joe turned a startup sports agency into a top agency representing some of the best names in MLB
- Joe’s advice to the person looking to partner with someone that will play a huge role in their future
- How Joe protects his marriage and family while in a high stakes, high pressure career as a sports agent and while building a startup from the ground up
…and so much more.
If you want to make sure your motivations are aligned with your ideal future, then lock in to today’s episode.
[00:01 – 13:37] Introducing Joe to the show
- Joe’s most embarrassing moment
- Joe’s background, story, and professional journey
[13:38 – 29:08] How Joe turned a startup sports agency into a top agency representing some of the best names in Major League Baseball
- The difference maker: he LOVED his job (he was intrinsically motivated)
- When it got tough, Joe kept reminding himself that, if he stayed in the game, he’ll reap the rewards (just like his Dad did)
- Joe didn’t dwell on the negative. He went to work everyday believing that it was going to end well for him.
- Joe had a belief in himself, regardless of the uncertainty around him
- Joe played to his strengths and put a team around that complimented and enhanced those strengths
- Joe stuck to his core values, despite the pressure around him to do otherwise. One of those core values was that he was never going to give up on someone.
- Business advice he took from his Dad: 1.) you never know where your next lead is going to come from, 2.) there’s no such thing as a bad lead (i.e. it’s basic human nature – just treat people with respect)
[29:09 – 36:15] Joe’s advice to the person looking to partner with someone that will play a HUGE role in their future
- Do your due diligence, but, most importantly, ask yourself, “How is the person? Are you connecting on a level where this deal or partnership can work out? Is it somebody like you? Do you REALLY know him?”
- Stay true to what YOU value and find important
[36:16 – 44:04] How Joe’s protected his marriage and family while in a high stakes, high pressure career as a sports agent and building a startup from the ground up
- Joe had people and systems in place to protect his calendar
- Make sure to block out quality time with your family and make them a priority
- He invited his wife, Jamie, into his work life
[44:05 – 47:59] Wrapping Up
- Joe’s BIG domino
- How to connect with Joe
“If you don’t stay in the game, you’re never going to make your luck.” – Joe Longo
“Be in a constant state of, ‘How can I be better?’” – Joe Longo
“Invite your wife into your work.” – Joe Longo
“Don’t be afraid to rely on others for help.” – Joe Longo
“Start with the person before you think about partnering.” – J.R.
CONNECT WITH JOE
- Instagram: @paragonsportint
- Twitter: @ParagonSportInt
- Website: Paragon Sports International
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
- Check out The Clutch Club™️: jamesreid.com/club (For Men Only)
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!
LISTEN to previous episodes on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google or whatever podcast platform you prefer!