When’s the last time you gave yourself permission to be great?
You’d be surprised how often this permission topic comes up in my sessions with clients.
As a kid, I remember when my Mom or Dad gave me permission to do something I really wanted to do…
When that moment happened, I was beyond excited.
It was like that permission granted was magic…
It shifted my mood…it fueled me with positive energy.
Here’s a revelation I got (that I wish I got so much earlier in my adult life) – when permission is granted, freedom is gifted…
You’re free to do what you said you wanted to do.
And that power is available to you daily.
On today’s episode of the Coming Up Clutch with J.R.™ show, I sit down with former 9-Year MLB veteran and award-winning entrepreneur, Jody Gerut, to discuss unlocking your greatness, especially when others have written you off.
In this latest episode, Jody and I talk about…
- Overcoming career hurdles and staying focused
- How to stop hanging on to your past and transition to your next moment and season more effectively
- The key steps you must take before setting goals
…and so much more.
If you want to unlock your greatness more often, then don’t miss today’s episode.
[00:01 – 14:18] Introducing Jody to the show
- Jody’s most embarrassing moment
- Jody’s background, story and professional journey
- Jody’s ultimate clutch moment
[14:19 – 25:58] Overcoming career hurdles and staying focused
- You have to give yourself permission to be great
- Stay focused on who you are and the steps you took to be great
- Stop overthinking it
- Focus on executing
- Shed your skin of failure on a daily basis
- Jody had a moment where he declared to his managers and coaches, “Here’s what I’m going to do.” (context: everyone else was getting called up, but him)
- Talked to the best hitters
- Trained with the best
- You have to change yourself in order to become a different version of yourself – if you don’t you’ll figure out a way to sabotage your own success (and you end up going back to where you think you need to be)
[25:59 – 38:50] How to stop hanging on to your past and transition to your next moment and season more effectively
- What was missing initially for Jody: clear path forward to what he wanted to do, what made me happy, and what was in the way of that
- You’re going to have to deal with your objections before you expect to get through them. Bottom line, keep moving.
- Be careful with your “I AMs” (don’t let the sentence stop at what you don’t have)
- E.g. I don’t have a skill set => I don’t have a skill set, so I’m going to go get one
[38:51 – 42:12] The key steps you must take before setting goals
- Take inventory of your basic needs and get clear on who you are, and where you’re going BEFORE you set goals.
- Create an image of who you want to be and who you want to become.
- C.S. Lewis quote, “Christianity offers nothing to people who are happy with the way things are.” (Jody: substitute anything for the word Christianity). If you’re happy with the way things are, you’re going to struggle creating goals.
- If the pain is not great enough, you will not do the things required that no one will do in order to get you to where you want to be.
[42:13 – 46:40] Wrapping Up
- Jody’s BIG domino
- How to connect with Jody
“No matter what you say to yourself, your body has the last say.” – Jody Gerut
“You have to give yourself permission to be great.” – Jody Gerut
“You have to change yourself in order to become a different version of yourself.” – Jody Gerut
“You’re going to have to deal with your objections before you expect to get through them.” – Jody Gerut
“Don’t speak it into existence unless you want it there.” – Jody Gerut
CONNECT WITH JODY
- Instagram: @jodygerut
- Facebook: @Jody.Gerut.9
- Linkedin: /in/jodygerut
- Website: jodygerut.com
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
- Check out The Clutch Club™️: jamesreid.com/club (For Men Only)
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!
LISTEN to previous episodes on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google or whatever podcast platform you prefer!