Rockstars. Teams love ‘em…Businesses love ‘em…Communities love ‘em.
So what’s it take to consistently be the rockstar you know you are? Better yet, what’s it take to lead like one?
I lean into those questions with former longtime Hard Rock International Exec, Jim Knight, on today’s episode of the Coming Up Clutch with J.R.™ show.
Jim is an award-winning training and development expert, culture catalyst, 3x best-selling author, podcaster, and a Top 10 Keynote Speaker in the U.S. I’d say he knows a thing or two about building rock star teams and organizations.
In this latest episode, Jim and I talk about…
- How Jim went from Middle School teacher to one of the top executives in the world
- Jim’s recommendation for bringing the energy as both leaders and individuals
- What the emotional bank account is and how we can make more deposits into it
…and so much more.
If you want your life and leadership to earn rockstar status, then lock in to today’s episode.
[00:01 – 09:59] Introducing Jim to the show
- Jim’s most embarrassing moment
- Jim’s background, story, and professional journey
[10:00 – 26:38] How Jim went from Middle School teacher to one of the top executives in the world.
- He knew where he sweet spot was – he knew he wanted to teach, train, and develop people
- He stood by his love for helping people and businesses get better
- The common skill Jim leveraged to get to the top: work ethic (He also diversified his skill set to combine education and entertainment)
- If it’s not broke, break it (be different, take risks, challenge the status quo)
- Figure out your boundaries and your non-negotiables, then move. If you can be just a little more differentiated than your competitors, you’ll have the opportunity to stand out and win on a consistent basis
- For leaders hiring people:
- Find rockstars (even if it means waiting longer to find them)
- Stick to your convictions, values, purpose, mission, and vision and put them in your job descriptions and communicate them. If you have convictions, that’s a great start…but if you don’t communicate them and measure against them, how will you know you’re aligned with them?
[26:39 – 31:16] Jim’s recommendation for bringing the energy as both leaders and individuals
- Everything is learned behavior
- As leader, you may not get someone to change, but you do have to help them think differently
- Must have flexibility as a leader (if you can do it, then bring in others than can)
- From the leader’s perspective: how do we set the tone
[31:17 – 37:18] What the emotional bank account is and how we can make more deposits into it
- Relationships are based off of trust – the more deposits, the more the account grows. If you’re constantly making withdrawals, that other person is going to bail
- Key question to ask, especially as a leader: What’s the impactful thing I can do to make a small deposit today? (e.g. phone call, supporting someone in front of their peers, ask about their family, etc.)
- Tactic: carry coins in your pocket, and move them over to the other pocket when you make a deposit
- Foster mentorship and accountability
[37:19 – 46:00] Biggest regret Jim’s had despite his success
- Would’ve focused on his family more and take more vacations
[46:01 – 51:11] Wrapping Up
- Jim’s BIG domino
- How to connect with Jim
“Rockstars want more. They’re always hungry.” – Jim Knight
“If it’s not broke, brake it.” – Jim Knight
“If you have convictions, that’s a great start…but if you don’t communicate them and measure against them, how will you know you’re aligned with them?” – Jim Knight
“Surround yourself with rockstars, not lip syncers.” – Jim Knight
CONNECT WITH JIM
- Instagram: @jimknightspeaker
- Twitter: @KnightSpeaker
- Website: https://www.knightspeaker.com/
- Podcast: Thoughts That Rock
- Book: Culture That Rocks: How to Revolutionize Your Company’s Culture
- Book: Service That Rocks: Create Unforgettable Experiences and Turn Customers into Fans
- Book: Leadership That Rocks: Take Your Brand’s Culture to Eleven and Amp Up Results
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
- Check out The Clutch Club™️: jamesreid.com/club (For Men Only)
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!