Storms in life are going to happen. It’s the hard truth.
The best phrase I’ve heard about storms is this: “The storm may be around you, but it’s not in you.”
When I heard it for the first time, it made me pause for a second.
Because it’s really easy to let our challenges, circumstances, or tough situations get the best of us, right?
But what if we spoke life into those storms? What if we let them make us stronger inside?
It’s great in theory, but how do we do that? How do we stay calm in the midst of chaos?
I tackle those questions on today’s episode of the Coming Up Clutch with J.R.™ show with Super Bowl Champion and former 10-year NFL veteran turned global keynote speaker, author, and entrepreneur, Fred Stokes. Yet another highly successful person getting real about the storms of life.
In this latest episode, Fred and I talk about…
- The one thing Fred would change if he had to do his NFL career all over again
- How to maintain faith and resist temptations in compromising environments and situations
- Fred’s advice for those times when you don’t believe the affirmations you’re telling yourself
…and so much more.
If you want to be more equipped for the storms in your life, then don’t miss today’s episode.
[00:01 – 13:04] Introducing Fred to the show
- Jody’s most embarrassing moment
- Jody’s background, story and professional journey
[13:05 – 19:33] The one thing Fred said he’d change if he had to do his NFL career all over again
- He’d take more physical pictures (because sometimes the mental picture doesn’t tell the whole story)
- “So as a man thinketh, so is he” (Proverbs 23:7)
- You tend to go where you’re looking – how do you see yourself? Where do you see yourself going?
[19:34 – 27:51] How to maintain faith and resist temptations in compromising environments and situations
- Fred’s son’s epiphany – a lifestyle with booze, drugs, sin is like a bullet train. That train is eventually going to crash. So, you just have to jump off!
- Have to make up your mind regarding what you want in life and speak life into that
- “Good money, good life” is just not true
[27:52 – 44:06] Fred’s advice for those times when you don’t believe the affirmations you’re telling yourself
- Find someone to affirm you and backup what you’re saying to yourself
- It goes beyond just having someone to affirm you – because every man needs another man to share the life he never tells
- Real men do get emotional – don’t believe the lies that come with “Be a man.”
[44:07 – 51:06] Wrapping Up
- Fred’s BIG domino
- How to connect with Fred
“You tend to go where you’re looking.” – Fred Stokes
“Every man needs another man to share the life he never tells.” – Fred Stokes
“Real men get emotional.” – Fred Stokes
CONNECT WITH FRED
- Instagram (Lint Brother): @lintbrother
- Instagram (Fred): @bigplaystokes
- LinkedIn: /in/fredstokes
- Twitter: @FredStokesFoods
- Facebook: @fredstokes.foods
- Website: https://www.lintbrother.com/
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
- Check out The Clutch Club™️: jamesreid.com/club (For Men Only)
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!
LISTEN to previous episodes on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google or whatever podcast platform you prefer!