Would you rather be financially successful or wealthy? There’s a difference.
In today’s episode, pro athlete turned Private Wealth Advisor, Erik Averill, sits down with J.R. and leans into that question, plus gives us an inside look into what the wealthiest people on the planet are doing to build and preserve their wealth.
Erik is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®) Professional and a Certified Private Wealth Advisor (CPWA®). Prior to AWM, Erik was a professional baseball player with the Detroit Tigers and Seattle Mariners and had a college career full of accolades at Arizona State University where he was an All-Pac-10 pitcher. He is the co-author of “PAID: How To Maximize Your Signing Bonus, Simplify The Money Game and Secure Your Future.” and is the host of the Athlete CEO and AWM Insights podcasts.
Most importantly, Erik is a strong man of faith, husband, and father.
[00:01 – 11:34] Introducing Erik to the Show
- Erik’s most embarrassing moment and how he overcame it
- Erik’s story and how he got to where he is now
- The powerful lesson he learned throughout his baseball and entrepreneurial journey
[08:26 – 22:00] The Key to Success
- The powerful lesson Erik learned throughout his baseball and entrepreneurial journey
- It’s all about surrounding yourself with great mentors
- How do you choose the best mentor for you?
- Bring out the best in you by going deep within you
- The biggest lesson Erik learned from his failed marriage that shaped how he is today
[22:01 – 32:00] The True Definition of Wealth
- Wealth is wellness and contentment
- Life is integrated
[32:01 – 43:03] What Your Mindset Should Be Towards Money
- On building wealth: Focus on what you can control
- Invest in yourself
- Control your taxes
- Win the cashflow game
- The most common mistake wealthy people make
- Understand why money matters to you
- Create flourishing families with a Mission and Systems
[50:49 – 54:10] Wrapping Up!
- Erik’s BIG domino
- How to connect with Erik
“If you’re not willing to open up the deepest part of your heart to a mentor, they’re not a mentor.” – Erik Averill
“Stop playing the game of advertising and consumerism and start playing one of meaning, purpose, and depth.” – Erik Averill
“Don’t bet the farm on something that has the probability of the lottery. ” – Erik Averill
CONNECT WITH ERIK
- LinkedIn: in/erikaverill/
- Instagram: @erikaverill
- Facebook: @erikaverill
- Twitter: @erikaverill
- Athlete CEO Podcast: www.AthleteCEO.com
- Website: www.awmcap.com
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!