Relationships…parenting…balancing your life and career…
It gets tough, doesn’t it?
Some days, I just wish one of my coaches would call me up, give me the play to overcome a challenge, and I go and execute it.
I guess I didn’t realize how easy I had it as an athlete.
But seriously – you want to win, especially in your career and at home.
Sometimes we just need to pick up someone else’s playbook to get some direction.
Because, let’s face it, we don’t have all the answers…
Especially when it comes to managing and intersecting our careers and personal relationships.
On today’s episode of the Coming Up Clutch with J.R.™ show, I sit down with Drew Pittman – co-founder of Brain Vault, author of the book First Team Dad, and NFLPA-Certified agent for over three decades.
Drew had an experience early in his agent career that shifted the way he thought about his faith, family, and the game of football. …and it turned into a Playbook.
In this latest episode, Drew and I talk about…
- Drew’s recommendation for preventing self-awareness turning into self-sabotage
- Drew’s playbook for maintaining a tight-knit family while living a life as a leader
- What advice Drew’s mom would give about getting to your next level in today’s crazy world
…and so much more.
If you want some go-to plays for winning the game of life, then lock in to today’s episode.
[00:01 – 20:08] Introducing Drew to the show
- Drew’s most embarrassing moment
- Drew’s background, story, and professional journey
[20:09 – 27:27] Drew’s recommendation for preventing self-awareness turning into self-sabotage
- #1 – Start with your identity
- You’re a child of God and created in His image
- Stop creating your identity based on what you do, and start creating identity based on who you are
- #2 – Understand you’re going to fail
- Then communicating to your people that you’re going to fail…that you’re not perfect
- There’s a difference between telling someone you’re sorry and asking for forgiveness
- #3 – Be intentional
- For Drew, it’s spending time reading his Bible, in prayer, and with his family
- Intentionally ask God ‘What should I do?” then take notes about what you’re hearing
- Make all three of these part of your family culture
[27:28 – 39:39] Drew’s playbook for maintaining a tight-knit family while living a life as a leader
- Made a decision to not let his business run his life
- Get clear on your priorities, then make choices that are in alignment with them
- Parents: we don’t need to give our kids everything
- Your struggle is what makes you who you are. Don’t remove the struggle from your kids.
- You have to prepare your kids for the road. You don’t have to prepare the road for your kids.
[39:40 – 47:11] What made Drew start a new company related to brain health
[47:12 – 53:12] What advice Drew’s mom would give about getting to your next level in today’s crazy world
- Life’s too short not to love everyone. Just love people.
- For people who’ve lost someone close to them: be thankful that you have someone that you miss
[53:13 – 1:01:20] Wrapping Up
- Drew’s BIG domino
- How to connect with Drew
“There’s a difference between telling someone you’re sorry and asking for forgiveness.” – Drew Pittman
“Your struggle is what makes you who you are.” – Drew Pittman
“You have to prepare your kids for the road. You don’t have to prepare the road for your kids.” – Drew Pittman
“Life’s too short not to love everyone.” – Drew Pittman
“Don’t track the results. Track the behaviors that lead to the results.” – Drew Pittman
“Don’t chase money, fame, and women. Instead, pursue excellence in every area of your life, then all the things you want will chase you.” – Drew Pittman
CONNECT WITH DREW
- Drew’s Instagram: @dpfootballagent
- Drew’s Twitter: @dpfootballagent
- BrainVault Instagram: @brainvaultcmt
- BrainVault Twitter: @BrainVaultCMT
- BrainVault Facebook: @brainvaultcmt
- BrainVault Website: https://brainvault.com/
- Book: First Team Dad
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
- Check out The Clutch Club™️: jamesreid.com/club (For Men Only)
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!