Pursuing excellence is HARD. It requires so much of your spiritual, mental, emotional, and physical capacity (and then some). You’ve probably heard the saying, “The tough get going when the going gets tough.” But how? …how can you unlock your greatest capabilities when it gets tough? …when the odds are against you?
We dig into those answers on today’s episode of the Coming Up Clutch with J.R.™ show. I sit down with human performance expert, Dr. Torrie Higgins.
Dr. Torrie has spent thousands of hours in the trenches with the US Special Forces and some of the most high-powered executives and athletes in the world.
In this latest episode, Torrie and I talk about…
- Why everyone has the potential to achieve high levels of success and growth
- How the US Special Forces train to overcome pressure and what you can do about it
- The key to limitless motivation
…and so much more.
If you want to consistently bring out your best when pursuing excellence gets hard, then lock in to today’s episode.
[00:01 – 20:08] Introducing Torrie to the show
- Torrie’s most embarrassing moment
- Torrie’s background, story, and professional journey
[11:21 – 22:35] Why everyone has the potential to achieve high levels of success and growth – it’s not only reserved for elite athletes and alpha-males
- Starts with mindset – believe there’s always the possibility for growth
- Actions follow beliefs.
- The starting point for demystifying beliefs that we can’t do certain things is in the narratives we’re telling ourselves.
- Push yourself to ask, “What’s my goal?” Then 10x your answer. If you feel like you have fear surrounding your 10x answer, “run the experiment.” Too many people are stopping the conversation once the fear starts. Torrie suggests to keep the conversation going a little longer and collect data on yourself.
- Once you get ideas out of your head, your brain can go into problem-solving mode.
- You will pursue your goals better with social support (getting consistent feedback is a flow trigger). When we’re going solo through our journey, we tend to stay in execution mode.
- Embrace the struggle if you want to maximize your potential. We need stress and struggle to increase our capacity.
[22:36 – 35:58] How the US Special Forces train to overcome pressure and what you can do about it
- There’s a difference between stress and pressure.
- Pressure depends on your level of training and preparation – if you’ve done the reps under intense conditions, you’re more likely to have a controlled response.
- Special Forces Mentality, “We’re going to do the reps when we’re at our worst.” Make your reps as challenging and scary as possible.
- If you can’t replicate the pressure situation, visualize it. This will activate the same areas of your brain that will light up as if you’re actually living that experience. There is where WHAT IF comes into play.
[35:59 – 46:25] – The key to limitless motivation
- Spend UNDISTRACTED time with yourself to find out what motivates you
- Uncover your true purpose – how can you take what you’re good at and interested in and serve something or someone else other than yourself
- If you’re unclear on your purpose, brainstorm what 10 questions or problems you care most about solving – if you can structure your goals around that problem, it’s limitless motivation
[46:26 – 51:21] Wrapping Up
- Torrie’s BIG domino
- How to connect with Torrie
“Actions follow beliefs.” – Dr. Torrie Higgins
“Embrace the struggle if you want to maximize your potential.” – Dr. Torrie Higgins
“We need stress and struggle to increase our capacity.” – Dr. Torrie Higgins
CONNECT WITH TORRIE
- Instagram: @theedgeperformance
- Linkedin: /in/TorranceHiggins
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
- Check out The Clutch Club™️: jamesreid.com/club (For Men Only)
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!
LISTEN to previous episodes on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google or whatever podcast platform you prefer!