There’s a foundational component to human performance that’s not being talked about enough.
And it’s preventing SO MANY people from unlocking their greatest capabilities and using their gifts and talents at the highest level possible.
What about you? You feel like you have more in the tank?
If so, you’ll want to lean in hard today. Because Dr. Matt Kritz BROUGHT IT…
Dr. Matt is a Human Performance Specialist and the man behind New Zealand DOUBLING their Olympic medals earned. He leans right into the KEY DRIVERS to high performance and what MUST happen for you to unlock your best.
Matt is BEYOND impressive and he has a take on human performance that’s going to relieve a lot of your stress about getting out your best. J.R. and Matt talk about things like:
- The fundamental characteristics that drive high performance
- What to do when you’re in the proverbial “s*** or get off the pot” moment
- The mistake high achievers are making when they get feedback or information about how to achieve their goals
And this is just a taste of what J.R. and Matt get into today. Matt is an absolute genius when it comes to human performance.
[00:01 – 12:18] Introducing Dr. Matt to the Show
- Dr. Matt’s most embarrassing moment and how he overcame it
- Developing a stronger sense of self-efficacy and self-mastery
[12:19 – 26:42] The Fundamental Characteristics That Drive High Performance
- #1: People thrive when the stresses they experience are within their capability and capacity
- If we don’t understand THIS, it doesn’t matter what program we’re in
- MUST know WHO you are as an individual and, specifically your capabilities and capacities. IF not, the best program in the world won’t work for you!
- Your FOUNDATIONS of what you’re doing must be set FIRST. You have to understand what YOU need relative to your capabilities and capacity, then make sure you can deliver that EVERY DAY. THEN, AND ONLY THEN, can you start looking at making GAINS…
- #2: Pursue MARGINAL gains (1-2% gains)
- NOTE: The BIG ROCKS should be addressed first if you’re operating at UNDER-capacity
[26:43 – 33:41] What To Do When You’re In The Proverbial “S*** Or Get Off The Pot” Moment
- You have to know yourself first
- Who am I?
- What do I know I can deliver?
- What part of that satisfies what was asked of me?
- What areas do I have NO idea about (i.e. necessary development)?
- How do I prioritize that development?
- How do I be open and honest and transparent about that (i.e. not being delusional or hiding behind something you can’t do)?
- Too many people are not raising their hand and saying, “I don’t know. I’m not sure. I need clarity here.”
- If you choose to hide behind the unknown, that’s called HOPE Performance vs. High Performance
- There’s no such thing as strengths and weaknesses…it’s more about CONTEXT.
- You have to be AWARE of your environment and what’s expected of you and understanding what your natural drivers are and how’d they’d land in that particular moment and environment
[33:42 – 37:50] Mistake People Are Making With Feedback And Information They’re Getting
- They feel like they have to take it at face value and implement it right away because that’s what they have to do to be successful
- If you have the expectation that it’s the TOP or bust, you’ll often miss things along the way, compromise people along the way, and often not be true to yourself along the way
- If what you’re trying to achieve is NOT within your IDENTITY, you’ll compromise
[37:51 – 54:19] Extra Nuggets from Dr. Matt
- Matt’s take on the BE YOU movement
- There’s NEVER a balance between work and life. It’s about how well you can integrate the two.
- How to be content with the 1-2% gain
[54:20 – 55:57] Wrapping Up!
- Dr. Matt’s BIG domino
- How to connect with Dr. Matt
“High performance is transparent. Hope performance hides.” – Dr. Matt Kritz
“There’s no such thing as strengths and weaknesses. It’s about being AWARE of your environment, what’s expected of you, your natural drivers, and how those drivers will affect the particular moment and environment you’re in.” – Dr. Matt Kritz
“If what you’re trying to achieve is NOT within your IDENTITY, you’ll compromise. ” – Dr. Matt Kritz
“There’s NEVER a balance between work and life. It’s about how well you can integrate the two.” – Dr. Matt Kritz
“Anything worth achieving requires you to be uncomfortable.” – Dr. Matt Kritz
CONNECT WITH DR. MATT
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!