FEAR = False Evidence Appearing Real
When I first saw this acronym, a BIG light bulb went off. For the first time, I realized that there’s absolutely ZERO truth behind the door of our fear. Although WHAT we fear isn’t real, the WHY behind our fear is. …and a lot of it has to do with the lies we believe or the lie-based stories we tell ourselves.
So, what do you do when you feel trapped by your fear?
Today’s Guest answers this question and then some. This week, I sit down with 22-year U.S. Navy Veteran, Executive Director of Warfighter Advance, and Internationally Recognized Clinical Psychologist, Dr. Mary Vieten. For decades, this woman has helped American war heroes overcome their fears and severe levels of trauma. She’s going to break down how we can master ours.
Dr. Mary draws from personal stories and real-life experiences while she unpacks a range of topics from hilarious military moments to serious mental health concerns. Join us as we reflect on the strength of overcoming fear and trauma, as well as the significance of showing up for those who come to us in times of need.
If you want to overcome your fears more confidently and consistently, then don’t miss today’s episode.
In this episode, you’ll hear:
- What to do when you feel like you’re trapped by your fear.
- Signs that you’re dealing with unresolved trauma.
- How you could be a better citizen, friend, and family member in today’s crazy world.
- Importance of faith, forgiveness, empathy, genuine relationships, and unconditional positive regard in the healing process.
- The unfortunate case of a military man’s struggle with the mental health system’s over-reliance on medication.
- The power of overcoming fear and trauma and how societal conditioning often instills fear of our own feelings.
- Dr. Mary’s plea to shift from living as human doings to thriving as human beings.
- When someone is sharing their struggle with you, your first response shouldn’t be, ‘You should talk to someone.’ It should be to tell yourself to ‘shut up and listen.’ – Dr. Mary Vieten
- Instead of retreating from your fear, look at it. – Dr. Mary Vieten
- The answers to our challenges are already built into our body and brain – we just don’t take the time to access them. – Dr. Mary Vieten
- We need to be more focused on being human BEings, not human DOings and TALKings. – Dr. Mary Vieten
CONNECT WITH DR. MARY
- Website: www.warfighteradvance.org
- Medicating Normal Movie: www.medicatingnormal.com
- Facebook: @warfighteradvancereintegration
- Instagram: @warfighter_advance
- LinkedIn: @warfighter-advance
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
- Check out The Clutch Club™️: jamesreid.com/club (For Men Only)
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review. We’d love it if you could drop a review or 5-star rating! Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests! Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app.
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Emerald City Productions. They helped me grow and produce the podcast you’re listening to right now. Find out more at https://emeraldcitypro.com and let them know we sent you.