J.R. gets on the mic with 5-Year Major League Baseball veteran, Brett Phillips. Brett’s claim to fame was his game-winning, walk-off hit in Game 4 of the 2020 World Series against the Los Angeles Dodgers. But Brett is way beyond a pro athlete. He’s a husband, man of faith, and entrepreneur who created the “Baseball is Fun” brand. He’s a one-of-a-kind dude with a phenomenal perspective on sports and life – the guy is ALWAYS full of energy and joy and has one of the craziest laughs you’ll ever hear! Who knows…you may just hear it if you stick around to the end.
In today’s episode, Brett shares what he does to keep he and his wife on the same page during the craziness of his career and business. He also gets into how to stay true to your values when everything else around you is changing and what to do when you’re not getting the opportunities you think you deserve.
Tons of fun and wisdom dropped in today’s episode, so get ready to lock in!
[00:01 – 26:26] Introducing Brett to the Show
- Brett’s most embarrassing moment
- On Brett’s work ethic: why he always considers himself second
- How his faith in God keeps him happy
- How to respond to difficult situations
- Brett on coming up clutch during the 2020 World Series
[26:27 – 41:33] Balancing a Crazy Life and Schedule with Business and Marriage
- How Baseball Is Fun came to life
- Running a business without losing self-worth
- Your spouse is your number one priority in marriage
- Make decisions together that come from a place of love and respect
- When things are difficult, take a step back and look where you are at with your relationship with God
- When your spouse is not happy, ask yourself if there’s something you’re doing wrong?
- How to stay on the same page with your significant other
- Present your feelings at the best time that they can listen
- It’s not what you say, it’s how you say it!
- Study your partner’s tendencies
[41:34 – 57:33] Wrapping up!
- Check out Brett’s brand Baseball is Fun
- Brett’s BIG Domino: key lesson every high achiever should follow
“It’s about having an unrelenting belief that things are going to work out in your favor.” – Brett Phillips
“Place more weight in who you are, not what you do.” – Brett Phillips
“Most wives put everything on hold for you so you can pursue your dreams and aspirations. You need to…support her and be more understanding when she’s bringing up things that don’t necessarily make sense to her.” – Brett Phillips
CONNECT WITH BRETT
- Instagram: @brett_phillips8
- Twitter: @Brett_Phillips8
- Baseball is Fun Website: https://baseballisfun35.com
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!
LISTEN to previous episodes on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google or whatever podcast platform you prefer!