“Your resume gets you in the door. Your performance keeps you in the room.”
When my friend and Monday’s podcast guest, Seth Berger, spoke those words it gave me a much needed reminder…
Our impact…our leadership…our MISSION…
It’s not about what we did or about what title we hold…
It’s about the progress we’re making…
It’s about the steps we’re taking to fulfill our calling in each of the roles we play each day – spouse, parent, athlete, leader, ___________ (fill in your blanks).
In today’s 5-Minute Drill, I share an epiphany I had about getting into a better position in life and our careers, but then leveraging that position to make progress towards our ultimate goals.
This epiphany came during a recent grappling session I had with one of my black belt brothers at my Gracie Jiu Jitsu gym, 6 Levels.
If you want to make more progress in your life and career and learn more about this simple, yet profound revelation I got, then lock in to today’s drill.
LET’S GET IT!
[00:01 – 08:01] Opening Segment
- Story about J.R. learning a key lesson from a brazilian jiu jitsu black belt
[08:02 – 10:33] What’s The Drill?
- Step 1 – Audit all the important areas of your life – your mission, your relationships, your finances, etc. Identify any areas of resistance…those areas that are causing some frustrations or making you feel like you’re not making the progress you want at the pace you want…or even those areas that you feel exposed to risk.
- Step 2 – Pick one area that’s causing you the most resistance.
- Step 3 – Determine what a normal step would be to move in the right direction. But don’t stop there. Does that feel like a big step for you or a BABY step for you? If it feels too big, what’s an even smaller step you could take?
- Step 4 – Make your move!
[10:34 – 12:46] Wrapping Up!
- What’s coming up on the next episode
- Final words
“Progress over position.” – J.R.
“Most of your progress will come as a result of a series of baby steps, not a big one.” – J.R.
“Let your goals and dreams stretch you. Let your next moves progress you.” – J.R.
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!