Feelings vs. Commitments.
How often do you have those two battling each other during your day?
If you’re normal, it’s often.
But who’s winning?
It’s so easy to get caught up in our feelings. Next thing you know…
It’s the team’s fault…
It’s the organization’s fault…
It’s my wife’s fault…
And then your commitments hit a brick wall.
Which means the pause button gets hit on your goals and dreams.
Let’s stop this cycle from continuing in your life and career. Let’s let your commitments WIN most of the time.
In today’s 5-Minute Drill, I share a subtle, yet game-changing shift you can make in order to keep your goals and dreams on PLAY, not pause.
LET’S GET IT!
[00:01 – 05:58] Opening Segment
- Your two choices when things are getting tough.
- The difference between amateurs and professionals.
[05:59 – 13:20] What’s The Drill? The Commitment Card.
- Step 1 – Find a notecard and write “You’re committed to…” at the top.
- Step 2 – Write in your first commitment. After you write it, add the word “because” to it. Then write your #1 reason why you’re committed to this.
- Step 3 – Carry your card on you wherever you go, with one exception: at night. Before you go to bed, you’ll read your commitments one last time for the day. And then when you wake up, it’ll be the FIRST thing you’ll read in the AM. And then, you’ll pick it up and carry it with you wherever you go.
- Step 4 – Leverage your card throughout the day. Two options:
- The obvious one – when you’re triggered by negative emotions or feelings, pull it out and remind yourself about your commitments. As we discussed, let them take over, not your emotions.
- The second one – Use your phone to set a few reminders to go off throughout the day with the label – “check commitments.” This just keeps them front-and-center throughout your whole day and takes the pressure off of you to remember. Your phone does the work for you.
- Step 5 – When you feel like you’re crushing your ONE commitment and it’s ingrained in your brain, add another…then add another…until you have a commitment card with 7 to 10 of your most important commitments for the most important areas of your life.
[13:21 – 15:52] Wrapping Up!
- What’s coming up on the next episode
- Final words
“When things get tough, you have two choices: Focus on your feelings OR focus on your commitments.” – J.R.
“True Professionals make decisions based on their commitments, not their feelings.” – J.R.
“Pros follow through.” – J.R.
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!