In today’s 5-Minute Drill, J.R. digs into a more effective alternative to affirmations. He’s going to share a strategy that actually works when it comes to positive self-talk and affirmations as a way to increase confidence – because there’s a big misconception about affirmations out there. Too many people are taking this wrong approach and actually hurting themselves mentally and emotionally more than helping. LET’S GET IT!
[00:01 – 06:17] Is Your Affirmation Helping or Hurting You?
- Backstory on a broken affirmation
- When you say an affirmation to yourself, but don’t believe it, it’s ineffective
[06:18 – 09:24] What’s the Drill?
- Step 1: Identify where you’re lacking confidence. If you can dig into the exact feelings you’re feeling, even better.
- Step 2: Hit the recall button through visualization.
- If it helps you, get in a quiet place and close your eyes.
- Think about all the times you felt this way…felt this lack of confidence before.
- Start collecting mental notes of all the things you did to overcome it and move past it.
- Are there any specific victories you had as a result?
- Step 3: Create a Victories Vault
- Come out of your visualization and write it all down.
- WHENEVER you’re in a place where you forgot how you’ve overcome these stretches and struggles in your life and career, you can pull up your vault to remind you of the character traits you have and the behaviors you did.
- Step 4: Attach a TRUTH to your AFFIRMATION
- I am _______ (affirmation) because ________ (truth)
[09:25 – 11:09] Wrapping Up!
- What’s coming up on the next episode
- Final words
“Your affirmations are EMPTY without revelations of truth.” – J.R.
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!
LISTEN to previous episodes on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google or whatever podcast platform you prefer!