“But, J.R., I just have to get through this project, then I could…”
“I just need to finish this quarter, then I could…”
“I just need to get the starting spot, then I could…”
“…Sleep a little more…”
“…Take more breaks…”
“…Go on vacation.”
I’ve heard it all.
For some reason, we get how recovery works as athletes, but we forgot how it works as humans.
Bottom line, there’s no such thing as peak performance without recovery.
In today’s 5 Minute Drill, we’re going to get real about recovery. I’m going to show you how to make it the main course, not the leftovers…
If you want to be the person showing up with clarity, energy, and courage more often, then make sure to lock in to today’s Drill.
LET’S GET IT!
[00:01 – 20:50] Opening Segment
- J.R. gives some context and shares a story about recovery and the science behind it
[20:51 – 25:55] What’s The Drill?
Pick ONE of the six non-negotiables, audit it in your life, then commit to focus on it for the next week. If you pick…
- #1 (Protect your schedule). Look at your weekly schedule, where are you leaving it to chance? Where are there doors open to distraction and other people preventing you from recovering the way you need to? Identify the opportunity, then determine how you’re going to manage your schedule better.
- #2 (Sleep hygiene). What practice can you do to up your sleep hygiene. Is it making your room darker at night? Is it turning down the temperature? Science tells us the ideal sleeping temperature is around 67 degrees. Or do you need to set a nighttime alarm?…meaning that when that alarm goes off, the electronics go off, work stops, and you’re starting to prepare for bed.
- #3 (Active Recovery) . Are there opportunities to do things like an epsom salt baths, infrared saunas, massages, restorative yoga, breathwork, mindfulness, meditation?
- #4 (Hydration/Nutrition). Do you need to ramp up your water intake? Typically on a base level, we need a ounce of water for every pound of body weight. Do you need to decrease your sugar intake or how your vegetables?
- #5 (Yoga/Stretching/Tai Chi). Is there an opportunity to stretch more throughout the day? Or schedule yoga sessions to increase your flexibility?
- #6 (Managing your emotions). Are there certain instances where you’re more impulsive…get more emotional? Maybe your commitment includes taking a 15 second pause to breathe when these things come up. Or going on a quick walk, or praying.
[25:56 – 28:13] Wrapping Up!
- What’s coming up on the next episode
- Final words
“Recovery isn’t separate from peak performance. Recovery is peak performance.” – J.R.
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
- Check out The Clutch Club™️: jamesreid.com/club (For Men Only)
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!
LISTEN to previous episodes on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google or whatever podcast platform you prefer!