On a scale from 1 to 10, how much do you believe in your goals? (1 = no belief at all; 10 = you believe in them with every bone in your body).
What’s the point of having goals if you don’t believe in them? You’re better off having no goals at all.
In today’s 5-Minute Drill, we’re going to wrap up our 4-part series on goal-setting. So, when you’re finished with this Drill, you’ll be locked and loaded when it comes to your 2023 Goals.
And not just any Goals…
Goals you BELIEVE IN and are ready to accomplish for a bigger purpose.
If you want some serious momentum heading into 2023, then make sure to lock in to today’s Drill.
LET’S GET IT!
[00:01 – 13:42] Opening Segment
- Quick Recap from last week’s Drill
- Context about J.R.’s philosophy when it comes to setting 1-year goals
[13:42 – 24:06] What’s The Drill?
STEP 1: Taking into consideration the 20-30 version of you (Part 1), your Mission and your BHAG (Part 2), 3-Year Vision (last week), write down the ONE thing you can do THIS YEAR to be on track to achieve your 3-Year Vision.
- I call this the “Domino” Goal. It’s the one in DIRECT alignment with your 3-Year Vision and is your most important goal or biggest outcome to accomplish this year. It’s the domino that would make all your other goals easier to knock down and accomplish.
STEP 2: Make your goals S.M.A.R.T.E.R.
- Risky (not jump off a building risky…more like stretch goal)
STEP 3: Continue 1-by-1 goal-setting until 3 to 7 are identified.
- Ask: “What’s my next most important goal THIS YEAR that will help me be on track to achieve my 3-Year Vision?”
- TIP: Rank your Life Categories from most important to least important and then go down the list and see if there’s any goals hidden in there. Here are J.R.’s Clutch Life Categories:
- Mental / Emotional
- Significant Other / Partner / Love
- Learning / Intellectual Development
- Friends / Others
- Hobbies/Interests/Community Service
- IMPORTANT: these goals MUST compliment your Domino goal (i.e. we want them giving energy to your Domino Goal, 3-Year Vision, BHAG, and Mission…NOT pulling energy from them)
BONUS STEPS that J.R. recommends.
STEP 4: Find someone close to you and have them read your Goals back to you while you have your eyes closed envisioning your Year. After they’re done reading them back to you, have them ask you, “If you achieve these goals, will it be your best year ever?”
STEP 5: Find your motivation.
- List your top reasons / key motivations for accomplishing each of your 1-Year Goals. Identify your Top 3 reasons / motivations for each goal.
- Get clear on what’s at stake if you DO NOT accomplish your goals. QUESTIONS TO THINK ABOUT:
- How will I be affected if I don’t hit my goals?
- How will those I care about be affected if I don’t hit my goals?
- What will I not be able to do if I don’t hit my goals?
- How will I feel if I don’t hit my goals?
- What’s at stake if I don’t hit my goals?
- What will I have to give up if I don’t hit my goals?
[24:07 – 29:21] Wrapping Up!
- What’s coming up on the next episode
- Final words
“If you want to achieve BIG goals, then you have to believe in what you’re doing.” – J.R.
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
- Check out The Clutch Club™️: jamesreid.com/club (For Men Only)
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!
LISTEN to previous episodes on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google or whatever podcast platform you prefer!