“Just learn from it, J.R.”
I’ve gotten this advice from coaches, mentors, friends, and family for decades.
But every time I received this great advice, I was left confused.
How do I learn from it?
What about you?…
How do you learn from your mistakes?
In today’s 5-Minute Drill, I help you get more equipped and prepared for your next challenge…
By helping you do what the greatest athletes and most successful leaders do – they get ridiculously intentional about learning from their mistakes.
If you want to truly learn from your mistakes and prevent the same ones from happening again, then lock in on today’s Drill.
LET’S GET IT!
[00:01 – 05:45] Opening Segment
- J.R. shares a story about him poorly responding to a past colleague and what transpired as a result
[05:46 – 10:25] What’s The Drill?
- Step 1: Identify the last time you responded poorly to something
- Step 2: Evaluate what went wrong (NOTE: what did YOU do? Take ownership and responsibility
- Step 3: Plan
- How do you make your response better?
- In practice: When ___________ happens, I’ll respond by _____________
- NOTE: this is another variation of J.R.’s WHAT IF exercise
- Step 4: Save your game plan in a 24-7 accessible note (aka Your VAULT)
- When you’re triggered, you can go to a note and give your brain a break. Save mental energy for dealing with the situation.
[10:26 – 15:21] Wrapping Up!
- What’s coming up on the next episode
- Final words
“The only way you’re going to learn from your mistakes in the present is by strategically planning to prevent them from happening in the future.” – J.R.
“Don’t just scan your week looking for wins to celebrate them…also look for your losses so you can learn how to minimize them.” – J.R.
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!