In today’s 5-Minute Drill, J.R. unpacks Mikie Mahtook’s comment that his “false sense of reality became his reality.” Specifically, J.R. digs deeper on how to make your brain work FOR you in times of stress instead of AGAINST you. LET’S GET IT!
[00:01 – 10:49] The Science Behind False Evidence Appearing Real (F.E.A.R.)
- How our brain accepts a distorted mental representation of what’s actually happening
- How stress disables our ability to think through things logically
- The importance of focusing on what’s true in the moment
- When faced with doubts, ask yourself: How do you know this is true?
[10:50 – 14:23] What’s the Drill?
- Step 1: Recall a time where you felt fear and ask yourself “How do you know this is true?”
- Can you clearly see what WAS true in that situation?
- DO THIS as often as you can – by reflecting back and seeing where your take on reality was FALSE, you increase the likelihood that your reflective function will remain ONLINE when stressed in the future, thus making you better at differentiating between what’s in your head and what’s real.
- Step 2: Identify today’s fears. Then ask…
- How do you know they’re true?
- What IS true?
- DOs/DON’Ts of this strategy
[14:24 – 15:33] Wrapping Up!
- What’s coming up on the next episode
- Final words
“What we project prospers.” – J.R.
“Stress doesn’t go away. You just get better at managing it.” -J.R.
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!