“OMG…he just won’t SHUT UP!”
How many times have you caught yourself saying that?
I can tell you, my wife stopped counting at 10,672 when it comes to saying that about me.
But, seriously, have you ever wondered how to get out of conversations that are draining you without being rude or a jerk?
In today’s 5-Minute Drill, I share a communication strategy that I recently shared with a client when he told me he always has trouble getting out of conversations that were taking too long.
There’s a key approach that I’m noticing many people are missing when it comes to everyday conversations and interactions, so that’s what we’re going to get into today.
If you want to better protect your time, sanity, and boundaries in conversations, then lock in to today’s Drill.
LET’S GET IT!
[00:01 – 09:19] Opening Segment
- J.R.’s story about a client who was having trouble exiting time-sucking conversations
[09:20 – 16:19] What’s The Drill?
- STEP 1: Pre-plan your response for your next conversation that comes up when you’re on a tight schedule and don’t have a ton of time to chit-chat. Remember your 3Cs in this response: Compliment, Clarify, Confirm
- BONUS STEP: Check yourself at the door – do you have a tendency to people-please, especially in your conversations? Spend time thinking about that.
[16:20 – 18:19] Wrapping Up!
- What’s coming up on the next episode
- Final words
“You have a choice – either steward well the time God’s given you, or please others.” – J.R.
“It’s not about your exit from a conversation. It’s about your entrance into it.” – J.R.
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!
LISTEN to previous episodes on Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google or whatever podcast platform you prefer!