“I can’t let them know how bad I’m doing. I’ve been having too much success.”
Those were the words I kept repeating to myself seven years ago.
My anxiety and depression had gotten so bad that I was spinning out of control.
I was embarrassed.
“People with your education, training, and network shouldn’t be going through this stuff.”
That was the narrative I was telling myself. As a result, I was losing my battles with…
Pretty much every battle I faced I was losing.
Instead of speaking up, I hid in a corner…
Was too afraid to tell anyone close to me what was going on.
Meanwhile, my mental and physical health, marriage, and finances were going down the tank.
In today’s 5-Minute Drill, I’m going to share the three steps I took back in 2016 to finally break the almost 4-year depressive cycle I was in.
Too many strong, talented, and passionate leaders are going through exactly what I was going through back in 2015, so I’m going to continue to speak up and out about it.
Even if you’re feeling great right now, you want these three steps in your back pocket when you’re not. Trust me.
Lock in to today’s drill to get even more equipped for your battles.
LET’S GET IT!
[00:01 – 09:02] Opening Segment
- J.R. shares a story about his battle with depression and how he overcame it
- Previous episode with Dr. Robb Kelly: https://jamesreid.com/kelly-cuc
[09:03 – 13:22] What’s The Drill?
- Step 1 – Come Out
- Audit your life and leadership.
- What are you struggling with? Even if it’s as small as, “I can’t get the dog to listen to me.” Come out. Tell someone.
- Step 2 – Communicate
- What are your needs? What’s at least ONE thing you need to get better?
- Step 3 – Collaborate
- Find one or two people to help you meet your needs
- Put a plan in place to address what you need to address and get better
- Don’t do this alone, my friend.
[13:23 – 14:51] Wrapping Up!
- What’s coming up on the next episode
- Final words
“When you know something is OFF, you must come out about it, communicate about it, and collaborate with someone about it.” – J.R.
CONNECT WITH J.R.
- Facebook: @jamesJRreid
- Instagram: @jamesjrreid
- LinkedIn: in/jamesjrreid/
- Twitter: @jamesJRreid
- Website: jamesreid.com
RATE & REVIEW this episode on Apple: https://jamesreid.com/review
SHARE this episode with someone who wants to be challenged, pushed, and positioned to come up clutch more often.
SUBSCRIBE so you don’t miss out on any new episodes and Special Guests!